When there is smoke, there is fire

Catamount Peaks Apartment building 331 was engulfed in flames on Tuesday night, Sept. 6,  producing smoke that could be seen throughout Cullowhee. According to students the fire was caused by lint build up in the dryer.

Former resident, Danielle Lacroix, stated when she lived in the apartment, there were prior problems with the dryer.

“We always had problems with the dryer and we called maintenance to fix it. When maintenance came, lint was pulled out of the dryer but the problem was never solved,”said Lacroix.

Lacroix stated that there were several safety issues involving apartments at Catamount Peaks but they were never resolved despite several requests.

Smoke from the fire was visible from lower campus. Student Holly Gardner said that she could see the smoke cloud from the Greek Village.

Catamount Peaks has yet to comment.

Elizabeth VanMetre contributed to the report.